The deadline for Festival of Quilts entries was Friday.  I posted my hanging on Wednesday with 48hr delivery so hopefully it has arrived in time.

It is not perfect, not sure it is “me” but in the face of adversity I did get something started, finished and entered.

Question is – will the judges realise its meant to be freeform – wonky edges and fraying threads?  Somehow I doubt it.  Lets hope the general viewer realises and doesn’t just think its messy.

Not totally happy with it.  Maybe I should have left it here at home, too late now.

The details; Natural dyed fabrics (mainly Logwood, Sticklac, Madder) – cotton, silk and silk velvet, Mulberry Silk hand threads, Madeira machine threads.

A not very good picture taken with the quilt on the floor and me standing on a chair with my arms outstretched – I’m only 5ft tall, its not a good combination!  I had to do some tweaking in Photoshop to get the edges straight – not totally successful.  Lets hope it looks better hanging up.

Natural selection1

Its called “Natural selection”.  Natural dyed fabrics and showing Darwin’s Finches – they helped him form his theory of evolution and natural selection.

Natural selection10Natural selection4  Natural selection13  Natural selection16

Natural selection19

Natural selection14

9 thoughts on “Festival of Quilts

• 04/08/2010 at 10:57 am

Your hand stitching is beautiful. I think no matter how many pieces you finish, you still are anxious sending your “baby” out into the world. They will love it! Make a cup of tea and relax!

• 04/08/2010 at 11:32 am

I think it is a great idea, and I'd love to see it in real life. I know how difficult it can be to take photos of textile pieces!

• 04/08/2010 at 2:05 pm

I love the colours and the stitching is so neat. I can't wait to see the finished piece at the Festival Of Quilts.

• 04/08/2010 at 6:49 pm

I think it is beautiful, you really are an inspiration, looking forward to seeing you very soonxx

• 04/08/2010 at 8:17 pm

Love the colours and textures, and the handstitiching is beautiful. Really looking forward to seeing it in real life. I think the uneasiness comes with not having had time to get used to seeing it finished (and the fact we all see the – sometimes imaginary – defects in our own work. Coincidentally one of my entries also has a Darwinian theme…

• 05/08/2010 at 9:33 am

It's beautiful Helen. I shall look forward to finding it at the Festival. The stitching is wonderful, especially the birds. In view of the dyes 'Natural Selection' works on several levels.

• 05/08/2010 at 7:41 pm

I love the colours very you! – are you going to FOQ?

• 25/08/2010 at 2:27 pm

Valuable information and excellent design you got here! I would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts and time into the stuff you post!! Thumbs up